Columbia MeM Application Essay 2023-24
The purpose of the Personal Statement is for you to share more about your past experiences and to discuss how these experiences have contributed to your personal and professional growth. It allows the applicant the opportunity to explain to the admission committee the distinct qualities and commitment they can bring to their department and to the overall Columbia Engineering community.
We recommend that your Personal Statement be between 250 and 1,000 words. Your application will not be negatively impacted should exceed this recommendation. Please do not email us to request permission to exceed this recommendation, no permission is necessary.
If possible, the following format is preferred:
- All margins should be at least one inch, and the left and right margins should be equal.
- Text should be double spaced.
- The preferred fonts are 10-point Arial or 12-point Times New Roman; however, any legible serif or sans-serif standard font may be used. Do not use script or ornamental fonts.
- Your name should appear in the Header or Footer of every page.
- It is integral to the admissions process that you write and submit this Personal Statement on your own. Any evidence of plagiarized materials may result in denial or revocation of admission.
A few topics that you may want to address in your Statement include:
- Describe how your background has prepared you to pursue an advanced degree in the field of engineering or applied science at Columbia University.
- Describe the reasons you are interested in this program and discuss any relevant past experience.
- If you have relevant work or research experience, please indicate how it helped you decide on your career path.
What are your post-graduation plans or career goals?
- What do you hope to gain from this program?
- What about this program excites you?
If any special circumstances need to be brought to the attention of the Admission Committee, please include that information.
Columbia MeM Letter of recommendation 2023-24
Three recommendation letters, Columbia Engineering requires three letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be written by faculty members with whom you have studied, who can assess your academic work, intellectual ability, academic potential for graduate work, address your suitability for the program, and your ability to commit to the rigorous curriculum. You may also submit letters of recommendation from current or former supervisors. Personal references are not appropriate.
Upon entering your recommendation providers’ contact information in your application, your recommendation providers will be contacted to supply the letter of recommendation. Under no circumstance should you write any portion of the evaluation, nor have any involvement in its drafting or submission.