Washington Olin MBA Interview
Washington University in St. Louis’ Olin School of Business has one of the smallest of the top MBA programs in the country, typically enrolling no more than 150 students per year. But small size has been no barrier to quality, as Olin has shown by regularly making it to the top 20 or so slots of the various b-school rankings. Olin itself considers its small size a strength that allows it to foster close relationships with its students and to deliver an intensive, personalized management education. MBA students can begin taking electives as early as their second semester and can declare degree concentrations in finance (with a focus on investments and asset management or on investment banking and corporate finance), marketing (with a focus on brand management or on marketing consulting), management strategy, organizational behavior (with a client services, general management, or HR focus), operations and manufacturing, entrepreneurship, or accounting analysis. They can also pursue dual degree programs that pair an MBA with a degree in architecture, urban planning, biomedical engineering, East Asian studies, law, or social work.
Frequently Asked Interview Questions
- Introduce yourself
- Tel us 3 key learnings from your work experience.
- Why MBA
- Why do you want to do MBA at this stage in your life/ career
- One reason that we should not select you?
- What are your short- and long-term career goals? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell us about a challenging situation that you faced? How did you resolve it?
- What are your greatest strengths? Give examples
- What are your weaknesses? Give examples
- What would you describe are your greatest achievement to date?
- Interests and Hobbies – Be prepared!.. questions as basic as “Why do you do poetry (or any other activity)” may be asked.
- Do you have any questions for us?
Interview Transcript - 1
Had the interview with Ashley Lautzenheiser. it was a quick interview that lasted for 10 mins only.
She asked typical questions:
- Introduce yourself
- Why MBA?
- Why now?
- 3 things you look for in choosing MBA program?
- What defines a leader, short term and long term goals and link between them?
- What qualities you possess that would be of value to your peers during MBA?
- How come you found out about Olin MBA?
- Any questions
I asked about restaurants, clubs, activities at St. Louis and Olin and the internship opportunities.
Interview Transcript - 2
Just 31 minutes of standard questions…
Why MBA, Why Olin, Leadership style, hobbies, Extracurricular, walk me thru your resume and so on…
Interview Transcript - 3
Asked behavior questions such as why WashU? What are your lt and st goals? Why do you want to come to business school? What value will you add to WashU’s student body? Is there anything else you want to tell me about that you feel is relevant? Do you have any pending offers from other schools?