How University of Alberta MBA Interview Works
Applications that are complete in all aspects and qualify in terms of the minimum academic and other criteria specified above are evaluated for being progressed to the next stage in the admission process. Shortlisted candidates will be called for the Alberta interview process.
The Alberta MBA interview panel will evaluate each candidate’s performance in terms of quality of work experience, diversity, leadership qualities, social sensitivity, and multifacetedness.
As a general approach to selecting a candidate for the programme, a multi-factor model is used. These factors include academic track record, GMAT/GRE scores, quality of work experience, performance in the interview, and writing ability test. A composite total score will be calculated for each applicant using the multi-factor model. A merit list is prepared based on the composite total score. The offer of admission will be made to a certain percentage of applicants on the merit list. The number of offers made will depend on the availability of seats. The number of offers will be further subject to the candidate meeting a minimum cutoff in terms of the composite score and/or for any other factor score that the admissions committee may decide on
Who will interview you, and how long will the interview last?
The Alberta MBA program interview is usually conducted by one of the panel members. The interview typically lasts for 25-30 minutes or may extend to 35-40 minutes in some instances.
Will the interviewer have read my application?
The Panel member has access to your complete application. In most instances, they would have read it completely.
How can you prepare for your interview?
Like most MBA Interviews, your interview will mainly revolve around a pretty similar set of MBA interview questions. You can never predict what questions will be asked, but with enough research, you can predict what are the most commonly asked questions in these interviews. We have created a short FAQ list below to get you a jump start, and we also have a free guide linked below to help you prepare for these commonly asked interview questions.
University of Alberta MBA Frequently Asked Interview Questions
Professional experience-related questions
- Tell me something about yourself, or Walk me through your resume.
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- Why MBA? or Why now? or Why an MBA at this stage of your career?
- Why Alberta?
- What is your Plan B? in case your primary goal does not happen?
Personal qualities-related questions
- What are your key strengths? Can you give some examples, please?
- What are your key weaknesses? Can you give some examples, please?
- How can you add value to the Class? or Why should we take you?
- Any reasons why we should not select you?
- Interests and Hobbies related questions – why do you do it, what have you achieved/learned?
Frequently Asked Situational & Behavioral Questions
- What is your leadership style? Can you give an example of a project you led?
- What would you describe are your greatest achievement to date?
- Give me an example of a time you failed.
- Give me an example of a time you faced a conflict. How did you handle that?
- Give me an example of a time when you did not meet a client’s expectations. What happened, and how did you attempt to rectify the situation?
The last one – Do you have any questions for us?
- Can you please tell me how international exchange students and schools are assigned?
- How club leadership is selected?
- Any other questions you may have in regards to the program.
University of Alberta MBA Interview Questions – 1
“Hi, My interview was taken jointly by Chris Lynch and Kristal Owens. Both of them were extremely friendly and made me feel comfortable. The interview lasted for a total of 40 minutes. Following is a brief of the questions asked:
1. Run me through your profile: Academic, Profession and Hobbies?
2. Why MBA now? Why Alberta?
3. 2 example of team-work – one which went well and one which did not. What would you have done differently in the example where things didnt go well?
4. Tell us about your most significant professional achievement till date
5. What do you plan to pursue after an MBA? How do you plan to achieve that goal?
6. Tell us about a single big issue plaguing the global business environment currently
7. Any question for us? Be confident and friendly in your approach. Interview is the most fun part of the entire application process.
To Preparing for your B-school Interview
University of Alberta MBA Interview Questions – 2
“Hello guys I just had my interview with Chris Lynch, Kristel Owens and one more lady. My experience with them was extremely good. They will make you feel comfortable before starting the interview. Their questions were:
1. Background description: Academic, Profession and Hobbies?
2. Importance of team-work?
3. 2 example of team-work – one in your workplace, another in anywhere else?
4. Why Alberta?
5. Strengths and weaknesses?
6. Example of leadership in a challenging situation?
7. How will you contribute to the classroom of Alberta?
8. Any question for us?
I applied on 19th Oct, got an invitation for Kira video essay on 26th Oct, completed video essay on 30th Oct, got an invitation for formal interview on 2nd Nov, done with interview on 8th Nov. Expecting final result on 17th Nov.”
University of Alberta MBA Interview Questions – 3
Hi. Chris Lynch and Kristal Owens conducted my interview together for the Alberta MBA Program. They were both really welcoming and helped me feel at ease. The entire interview lasted about 40 minutes. A list of the questions is provided below:
1. Background information: Education, Employment, and Hobbies?
2. How crucial is teamwork?
3. Can you give me two examples of teamwork, one at work and one elsewhere?
4. Why do you want to join the Alberta MBA Program?
5. What are your weaknesses and strengths?
6. What is an example of leadership in a difficult circumstance?
7. What will you bring to Alberta’s classrooms?
8. Any more queries for us?
Approach them in a polite and assured manner. The most enjoyable aspect of the entire application process is the interview. Good luck!
University of Alberta MBA Interview Questions – 4
Hello everyone. I recently spoke with Chris Lynch, Kristel Owens, and another woman for my interview for the Alberta MBA Program. My interactions with them were excellent. They will make you feel at ease before the interview begins.
Following were the questions asked:
1. Walk me over your profile, including your education, employment, and interests.
2. Why do you want to do MBA at Alberta?
3. What would you have changed in the scenario where things didn’t work out well?
4. Describe your greatest professional accomplishment to date.
5. What do you intend to do after receiving an MBA? How do you intend to accomplish that objective?
6. Describe one major problem that is now affecting the global business landscape.
7. Any other queries for us?
I applied on October 19th, received a request for a video essay on October 26th, finished the video essay on October 30th, received a request for a formal interview on November 2nd, and finished the interview on November 8th. Hope it helps.