NYU Stern MBA
Rankings | Class Profile | Employment Report | Sample Essays | Interview Questions
Located in a city like New York, the Full-time MBA at NYU’s Stern School of Business costs more than $200k. But a wide array of program specializations and the promise of big total starting compensation packages are just two of the many reasons Stern is a worthy investment.
NYU Stern’s full-time MBA program accepted 919 of 3,518 applicants last cycle, closing in on an admission rate of 26%. The school, in New York’s Greenwich Village, has recently introduced a new co-curricular program focused on motivating change. The “Dare it. Dream it. Drive it” curriculum has come to fruition since Stern implemented their Change:Studio program for two-year, full-time MBA students.
To ensure that students have a solid foundation in all areas of business, the majority of the first year consists of Stern’s core courses. Core course waivers may be given to students who completed an undergraduate major in a core course area or who hold a CPA or by passing a proficiency exam. Students’ second year at Stern is focused on electives and specializations. They are able to choose up to three specializations from more than 20 options, and pick elective courses from an impressive 200+ selection. For more details Click Here…
|Class Profile Summary|
|Average GMAT Score||723 (520-780)|
|Average Work Experience (yrs.)||5.2 years|
|Average Age (yrs.)||28 years (24-35)|
|% placed within 3 months||92%|
|Tuition Fees Summary|
|Living Cost||$ 38,128|
|Total Cost||$ 114,908|
NYU Stern MBA Class Profile 2022 (Click Here)
NYU Stern MBA Application Essay Tips
Essay 1: What are your short and long-term career goals? How will the MBA help you achieve them? (500 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)
Quick essay Tips – To write career essays for NYU Stern MBA program, a very simple structure to follow is
- Explain your current position and work experience → 2. State your short and long term goals → 3. Skillsets you have acquired throughout your career so far → 4. Explain what you currently lack to attain your short and long term goal → 5. Show how an MBA from school like NYU Stern can help you bridge the gap in your skills to achieve your short term goal.
Detailed Essay writing Tips – The best and an easy approach to write this NYU Stern application essay is to break it into two parts:
- First Half – explain “what are your goals and why you need an MBA”
- Second Half – establish ”Why or how the NYU Stern MBA program is the perfect fit for you?”
First Half – Goals and why MBA?
Start with a strong introductory paragraph on who you are and what are your desired goals from an MBA.
Eg: “I am an engineer with four years of experience in the IT sector leading projects for clients across multiple countries. In the short term i want to transition from a software developer role to a product manager role”
For the main body, start on a strong note, show what skills you already have. B-schools in general prefer to see strong academic track record, progress in professional career, client management exposure, leadership and international experiences. Highlight some of your key achievements with numbers or awards that you may have received. Show your outstanding performance via the promotions or opportunities to lead or international deputation.
After establishing the strengths of your profile, move on to show how the limitation of your current role and skills are hindering your future career progress or desired transitions. Establish the need for upskilling yourself which can only be done via an MBA at this stage of your career. Talk about how an MBA can enhance your business acumen, leadership skills, soft skills for communication and presentation or provide you the network to grow your career or business.
This sets the context for your “Why MBA” argument. The first half of the essay explains what you already have and what you lack to grow in your career. Lastly how an MBA can unlock opportunities for you to grow.
Second Half – Why NYU Stern MBA?
To answer the – “why NYU Stern MBA” part of the essay, build your argument on 3-4 points which helps you fulfill the gaps in your skill set and achieve your goals. Reasons to choose the NYU Stern MBA program should align with your reason to do an MBA as mentioned in the first half of the essay.
Ensure your reasons portray a holistic approach to how you intend to gain/upskill from the MBA program. An easy way to structure can be to break it down across three buckets –
- Inside the class – what excites you the most about the NYU Stern MBA program in regards to the academic curriculum? Is it a particular specialization? Range of Electives? Quality of Professor? Feel free to name drop a few.
- Outside the class – outside of the academics, how do you plan to make the most of the opportunities available at NYU Stern? Clubs? Networking event? International exchanges? Leadership seminar? Speak with Alum, current students and find specifics which perfectly aligns with your needs to achieve your goals in a particular industry or function.
- Outside of campus – show how the overall school brand, alumni network which you would carry and be a part of long after your campus stint can help you build a successful career in the long term.
Summarize your entire essay in 3-4 lines and confidently portray how you believe the NYU Stern MBA program is the perfect next step or logical step for you to achieve your career goals and how you would be a great fit and valuable addition to the class if selected.
For NYU Stern MBA essay samples, you can also read some of the great essays written by our clients here on the sample essays page.