Rankings | Class Profile | Employment Report | Sample Essays | Interview Questions
The full-time program here not surprisingly puts a strong focus on global business, especially as it relates to Asia, leadership and teamwork. New initiatives include a comprehensive leadership development program to enhance students’ leadership skills, and study tours to emerging markets. The program is also working with new technology to enhance the learning experience. Since 2011, the program has started giving each student of the full-time program a tablet computer through which they can access course materials and other resources.
HKUST gives students the option of completing its full-time MBA program in either 12 or 16 months. The shorter version is designed for students with more work experience and international exposure. Because it lacks the opportunity for a summer internship, it’s generally best for students who are not career changers. The result: it draws a good number of company sponsored students.
– Good school if you are a native Mandarin speaker or just want to experience life in Hong Kong.
– School positions itself as top 15 and number 1 in Asia,
– Diversity looks good on paper but in reality majority of the class will be represented by a lot of Hong Kong and Chinese people with different passports
– Advertised 12 months program is difficult to achieve as you have to overload significantly and not many people are doing it.
– Although my goals are not met completely, instead I learnt a lot of life lessons.
– Students organize a lot of events and trips.
About professors, classes and curriculum
– There are several very good, world class professors that will teach you a lot and make the HKUST MBA experience worth your time.
– Selection of classes and curriculum are very good.
About job placement process
– University brand is not very well known outside of Hong Kong.
– Job placements are very limited if you do not know Mandarin.
– Career office have got their own agenda and on most occasions are not very helpful, so do not expect any help from university (but they will take credit if you find a good job on your own).
– Night life is amazing and you are close to many Asian cities to travel to during breaks.
HKUST CLASS PROFILE
HKUST PLACEMENT REPORT
HKUST Application Essay Tips
Essay 1 –
The HKUST MBA mission is to inspire and transform individuals to be future business leaders for Asia and the world. We embrace diversity, and are looking for ambitious and open-minded candidates with a passion to contribute. It is the first day of orientation. Please introduce yourself to your classmates, highlighting what drives you in your personal and professional life. (500 words maximum)
Each graduating class is comprised of 120 students from 28 countries. Since HKUST strives for diversity throughout this small group, each applicant must demonstrate a unique perspective and experiences. If your professional background is in a heavily represented group – IT or finance for example, then I highly recommend highlighting not only your most exceptional professional experience in this essay but also the personal qualities, extracurricular involvement and values that differentiate you. When in your professional or personal life have you demonstrated an open-mind and made a difference? These activities will prove your potential at HKUST.
Essay 2 –
Tell us about your post-MBA goals and based on that, why is the HKUST MBA the ideal program for you and how do you plan to engage and enrich our community? (500 words)
This is a traditional goals essay with only slightly modified phrasing from previous years. The new element lies in the second part of the question’s engagement and enrichment of the HKUST community. While in previous years applicants could spend all 500 words talking about how they will benefit from the HKUST education to reach their goals, the admissions office is making it clear that they expect to hear how you will enhance the education of your peers as well. What aspects of the program will you be able to contribute to most and how will your fellow classmates benefit?