How HHL Leipzig MBA Interview Works
Applications that are complete in all aspects and qualify in terms of the minimum academic and other criteria specified above are evaluated for being progressed to the next stage in the admission process. Shortlisted candidates will be called for the HHL Leipzig Interview process.
The HHL Interview panel will evaluate each candidate’s performance in terms of quality of work experience, diversity, leadership qualities, social sensitivity, and multifacetedness.
As a general approach to selecting a candidate for the programme, a multi-factor model is used. These factors include academic track record, GMAT/GRE scores, quality of work experience, performance in the interview, and writing ability test. A composite total score will be calculated for each applicant using the multi-factor model. A merit list is prepared based on the composite total score. The offer of admission will be made to a certain percentage of applicants on the merit list. The number of offers made will depend on the availability of seats. The number of offers will be further subject to the candidate meeting a minimum cutoff in terms of the composite score and/or for any other factor score that the admissions committee may decide on
Who will interview you, and how long will the interview last?
Like most European B-schools, the HHL Leipzig MBA interview is taken by a Panel. The Panel usually consists of 2-3 professors. The interview typically lasts for 25-30 minutes or may extend to 35-40 minutes in some instances.
Will the interviewer have read my application?
It is always safer to assume that the Panel members have access to your complete application. In most instances, they would have read it completely. Unless the school specifically says that it will be an blind interview. Mostly North American Business schools in US and Canada have an Blind interviews, European and SE Asian schools conduct interviews via Alums or panels which have full access to your entire application.
How can you prepare for your interview?
Like most MBA Interviews, your interview will mainly revolve around a pretty similar set of MBA interview questions. You can never predict what questions will be asked, but with enough research, you can predict what are the most commonly asked questions in these interviews. We have created a short FAQ list below to get you a jump start, and we also have a free guide linked below to help you prepare for these commonly asked interview questions.
HHL MBA Frequently Asked Interview Questions
Professional experience-related questions
- Tell me something about yourself, or Walk me through your resume.
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- Why MBA? or Why now? or Why an MBA at this stage of your career?
- Why HHL Leipzig?
- What is your Plan B? in case your primary goal does not happen?
Personal qualities-related questions
- What are your key strengths? Can you give some examples, please?
- What are your key weaknesses? Can you give some examples, please?
- How can you add value to the Class? or Why should we take you?
- Any reasons why we should not select you?
- Interests and Hobbies related questions – why do you do it, what have you achieved/learned?
Frequently Asked Situational & Behavioral Questions
- What is your leadership style? Can you give an example of a project you led?
- What would you describe are your greatest achievement to date?
- Give me an example of a time you failed.
- Give me an example of a time you faced a conflict. How did you handle that?
- Give me an example of a time when you did not meet a client’s expectations. What happened, and how did you attempt to rectify the situation?
The last one – Do you have any questions for us?
- Can you please tell me how international exchange students and schools are assigned?
- How club leadership is selected?
- Any other questions you may have in regards to the program.
HHL MBA Interview Experience – 1
Final Decision: Admitted
Interviewed on Skype on: April 8, 2020
“I applied on March 29 and was invited to an interview on April 5.” My interview took place on April 8.
He was quite friendly and asked basic questions, such as “What’s your story?” and “Why HHL?” I wanted to establish my own business, so he asked if I had any ideas and “Why Germany?”
Finally, he told me that he really liked my profile and that he would give me admission as well as the scholarship amount. And that the official admittance letter will arrive in a week.
Vivek sir began the interview on a light note. So we talked about where he had lived in India and such. After that, he inquired about my background, i.e., tell me about yourself. He didn’t ask me why MBA because he could deduce the need for it from my previous experience and long-term aim.
Then he asked why HHL Leipzig (again, prepared answer) and why Germany in particular (here I told him about Germany being in the driver’s seat of innovation propelled by academic powerhouses and so learning here will allow me to be more visionary and innovative- qualities essential in the future) and then mentioned my short-term goal of staying in Germany/Europe for a couple of years).
He added that he had already thoroughly reviewed my documents. And he admired my work with non-governmental organisations, as well as the fact that I had passed the UPSC Civil Services test prelims twice while working in my father’s business.”
Finally, my interviewer stated that he will forward the favourable suggestion to AdCom.
He also stated that AdCom will make the ultimate scholarship choice.
He did, however, predict that my profile (scoring, experience, etc.) would receive 5%-10%.”
HHL MBA Interview Experience – 2
Skype On November 7, 2019, I was interviewed. Final Conclusion: Interviewed
“Skype Interview with WHU Admission Managers (this page does not have any WHU programmes to choose from); it is a Full Time MBA September 2020 entry application for WHU.”
Time allotted: 1 hour
Professor Tobias Dauth conducted the interview. We had a quick talk on Open Day, so we skipped the introduction and got right into topics such “Why Germany?” Why is HHL used? What is your objective? So, basically, this is my introduction.
Then we moved on to industry-specific inquiries, such as, “How do you see the insurance industry?” What would you do as a board member of an insurance company to encourage innovation? I expressed my point of view, and he followed up with some questions in between my responses. Those questions, in my opinion, are more about him attempting to understand my thinking than they are about assessing how up-to-date I am on the sector or how well I know it.
The overall ambiance was calm. There were no difficult or difficult questions. He noted at the end of the interview that the results were normally available in 5-14 days.”
Received an Interview Invite?
Need Help with Interview Preparation?
Check out our interview Preparation focused services to get started with your Interview preparation
HHL MBA Interview Experience – 3
Off-Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: February 7, 2018 Decision: Admitted
“I had my HHL interview with Prof. Vivek Velamuri today.”
1) Explain your background and why you want to get an MBA.
2) What do you hope to gain from the programme?
3) What can you offer the programme?
4) A lot of questions concerning work experience, such as how to handle challenging situations, and so on. Similar to a typical employment interview
5) Allowed around 10-15 minutes for candidate Q&A.
6) will have a result in 10 days, but if you need it sooner because you have other school results, please let us know and we will attempt to expedite.”
HHL MBA Interview Experience – 4
Adcom Off Campus
Date of interview: July 17, 2020
Final judgement: Admitted
He has been interviewing students for a very long time and is skilled at engaging them. The interview began with a casual conversation. 45 minutes were spent on the interview. The queries are as follows:
“1. Describe my experience and current position
2. The path and experiences of an entrepreneur
3. Illustrations of effective leadership
4. why pursue an MBA at HHL?
5. Persuade the interviewer to choose HHL by acting as a spokesperson for HHL.
6. contrast your actions with a brand
7. Post-MBA objectives
8. reasons why you should be selected for the programme
9. Describe yourself in 2 words or less.
We eventually got to talking about his time at HHL and how it had affected him. Overall, it was a pretty pleasant interview with little emphasis on psychology. I was informed that there might be another round of interviews with the HHL admissions staff.
However, I was accepted almost a week after the interview.
HHL MBA Interview Experience – 5
Interviewed on: November 22
Conclusion and Decision: Accepted
“I met with the director of admissions for an interview. It was a pleasure to have a conversation with her. The conversation proceeded without any hiccups. The following are the questions that were asked:
1. What information can you share with me about who you are?
2. If you wouldn’t mind, could you please go through your CV with me?
3. Why should one get an MBA? Why did you decide to attend HHL instead of another school?
4. Why get an MBA right now instead than waiting until later? Why get a master’s degree in business administration at this stage of your career?
5. What are some of your immediate as well as long-term goals?
6. In the event that you do not find success in the field of investment banking or consulting, what other options do you have?
7. What are some of your most valuable possessions? Could you please share some examples?
I didn’t try to be anything other than myself, and I was honest. It ended up being a successful interview, and I got the offer on Monday.
HHL MBA Interview Experience – 6
Interviewed on: Sep 12, 18
Conclusion and Decision: Accepted
“By the 5th of September, I was notified that I would be participating in an interview, and the interview took place on the 12th.”What is the biggest problem with you? Could you please share some examples?
What unique skills or perspectives can you provide to the group?
Why should we waste our time talking to you?
Is there a factor that would make us reconsider picking you?
Think about the things that interest you and the hobbies that you enjoy doing so you can get ready. It is possible to ask something as straightforward as, “Why do you write poetry (or do any other activity)?”
Several Problems Relating to the Situation and One’s Behaviour
I believe that another thing that HHL wants to check is that you are already familiar with the school in some way. It is important that you are familiar with their beliefs and that you have strong motivations for wanting to be there.
In the end, it needs to be a discourse that is true and sincere.
HHL MBA Interview Experience – 7
Interview date: April 12, 2021
Conclusion and Decision: Accepted
“As you know, I went in for my interview with the associate director of admissions the other day. The conversation was engaging, and it was extremely skillfully led. The fact that there was no “tell me about yourself” was something that I greatly appreciated because it gave the impression that he had read through my profile.
What do you think is the single most important thing that you’ve accomplished up to this point in your life?
Please provide an example of a period when you were a member of a team, and there was a disagreement. How did you manage to get through it?
Tell me about a time when you fell short of the expectations that a customer had placed on you. What took place, and how have you attempted to put things back the way they should be?
In MBA interviews, case questions are posed quite frequently, especially of applicants who are applying for consulting jobs.
What is the highest possible number of golf balls that can be carried by a Boeing 747?
What is the current size of the market for smartphones around the world?
Do you have any queries that you would like us to answer for you?
It is crucial that you link your previous experience and post-MBA ambitions to what the university will provide you in the way of its curriculum, faculty, projects, and clubs.
HHL MBA Interview Experience – 8
Date of interview: February 20, 19
Acceptance is the final decision.
“The interview lasted 45 minutes.” The questions are all pretty general.
1. Please walk me over your resume.
2. Describe your professional work experience.
3. Tell me about your most significant professional accomplishment.
4. What was the most difficult difficulty you faced, and how did you overcome it?
5. What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
6. What would the title be if your coworkers wrote a book about you?
7. Describe how you would contribute to the class’s diversity.
8. Do you have any questions for me?
The interviewer was quite engaging, and even though I don’t think I did very well in the interview, I felt good about how deeply they wanted to know you and how well you can manage challenging situations.
HHL MBA Interview Experience – 9
On-Campus Interview Date: February 20th, 2019 Decision: Admitted
My interview took place on campus after the AD had finished. Due to the very small amount of time that was allotted for the interview, it was quite conversational, but, at times, it did have the feel of a rapid-fire round. The following are examples of questions that were asked: -Please tell me about your background.
Why get an MBA, and why do it now?
-How Come HHL?
-To which schools I submitted my applications, and why
-What prompted the switch in careers?
-What are the reasons that led you to make this decision?
Additional information regarding previous employment
-Three significant junctures throughout the course of your life
-Additional details regarding certain pastimes
– What are your plans for paying for the MBA?
– After you have your MBA, what are the chances that you will go back to doing what you are doing now?
In general, it was quite pleasant, and there wasn’t much of a psychological examination involved.
HHL MBA Interview Experience – 10
Date of interview: November 1, 2022; Conclusion and Decision: Accepted
“In my opinion, everything turned out great! Super conversational. For your information, I am now seeking employment in the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries in nations that operate under a single-payer system. The following is what I keep recalling about the interview:
1) Describe a moment when you were forced to have a challenging task at work (this question was a follow-up to the one I had just answered regarding my experience).
2) Please describe the endeavour that has required the most intellectual effort on your part.
3) If you were given the chance to reform the healthcare system in the United States, what recommendations would you make?
4) [Offered a high-level summary of the SUS, Brazil’s national health care service] In Brazil, there is talk about privatising some of the services that are currently provided by SUS. What are the probable repercussions that could arise if this were to be approved?
5) In one of your essays, you made reference to a couple of different pharmaceutical businesses. Why would that company want to hire someone like you?
6) Please tell me about a time when you were confronted with a moral conundrum.
7) Why Get an MBA and Why Head Start?
8) Could you please explain the process that will be used to choose between HHL and the other colleges that I have applied to?
I really hope this helps someone out there who has an interview coming up in the next few days.